[Sca-cooks] Cookie Exchange for Cariadoc ;-)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 07:17:59 PST 2004

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Maybe they were overwhelmed by my long post on the 13th?
> We very well may have not had anyone signed up to do the 14th....
> --maire, trying not to fall asleep in her breakfast oatmeal this
> morning....

I did send out a message last night explaining my delay.  I was supposed
to send recipes out on the 14th, but had an attack of life and didn't
get to it.  However, things have calmed down now (attack was good stuff,
not bad!!), so, to make up for my delinquency, I'm submitting two
recipes...both family favorites inherited from my mother (Pecan Scrolls)
and my Grandmother Brooks (Orange Fruit Cake):

Pecan Scrolls

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp. cake flour (not a typo!)
2 well-beaten eggs
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream shortening.  Add brown sugar gradually and beat until light.  Add
well-beaten eggs and blend well.  Add vanila, flour and salt.  Mix well
and add nuts.  Drop by scant teaspoonfuls onto a greased sheet and
spread as thinly as possible with the back of a spoon.  Leave a 4" space
between wafers as they spread.  Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from sheet IMMEDIATELY and roll around a wooden spoon handle
while still warm.  Yield--3 dozen.

Note:  It is wise to have one person remove cookies from the cookie
sheet and another to roll around the spoon handle.  They crack if they cool)

Petit Orange Fruit Cakes (From Virginia Hospitality...a marvelous
cookbook published by the Junior League of Hampton Roads, VA)

Note:  This is the same recipe that my grandmother gave me...there are a
few differences, mainly in the topping and the fact that she baked one
large cake instead of the small cakes...both are excellent.)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cups buttermilk
grated rind of one orange
Preheat oven to 375.  Cream shortening and sugar until light.  Add eggs,
one at a time.  Sift dry ingredients together, then add dates and nuts.
Alternate dry mixture with buttermilk in adding to egg mixture.  Blend
in orange rind.  Grease miniature muffin tins and fill 2/3 full.  Bake
for 10 - 15 minutes.

Topping:
3/4 cups sugar (I used confectioners sugar)
1/2 cup orange juice (I use 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup light rum)
1 tablespoon orange rind, grated.
Bring sugar, orange juice and rind to a boil.  Pour slowly over little
cakes while they are still hot (I didn't boil the mixture together, but
rather mixed the confect. sugar and liquid together, then poured over
cakes, topping each with grated orange rind).  Makes about 5 dozen.

Kiri