[Sca-cooks] Lavender Foods made with Blue corn meal- OOP

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 10:52:00 PST 2004

--- Linda Peterson <mirhaxa at morktorn.com> wrote:

> Remember all the talk about color changes with foods this week? Blue is
> particularly suceptible to it. Blue corn meal dishes can range from an
> Eastern sky blue to a ballerina pink,

They usually come out an unappetizing grey.... like dryer lint.  Baking soda will help to fix the
color to a sort of corn-flower grey, but you may not want soda in your recipe.  If you plan to use
the masa for tortillas or baking, make sure you get the authentic stuff (nixtamal method, or
something similar I think).

Those nice blue corn chips you get in US supermarkets often contain food coloring, by the way.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.