[Sca-cooks] No Italian Chocolate

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 11:48:06 PST 2004

--- Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> This doesn't necessarily negate chocolate being used as a beverage, since I
> believe there is a reference to the Italian Church which ruled that priests
> who drank chocolate were not breaking their fast before serving Mass.

It doesn't necessarily negate chocolate being eaten as a sweet, either.  It merely indicates that
that book didn't have a reference for it.  Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,
especially when we are delaing with so few manuscripts and surviving sources from the time. It's
kind of like using the "Norton Anthology of Literature" to describe the width and breadth of
modern lit.... it only contains a very, very small fraction of what is being written, and is by no
means a barometer.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.