[Sca-cooks] Holiday Exchange

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 16 09:01:27 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >>Consualia - Ancient Rome - Festival of Consus, the deity of Time, who is
now
> >>known as ‘Father Time’.   Horse and mule races were held on this day.
> >
> >That hardly seems fair.  Everyone knows the horse will win.  :)
> >
> >William de Grandfort

> Not if the horse has been sucking on frozen mead cubes...

There are other factors involved, too, including the bloodlines of the two
animals involved, the length of the race, and the terrain. There's a reason,
for example, that the trips down into the Grand Canyon are done on mule
back, and that mules were often preferred for jobs requiring great endurance
over difficult terrain- horses are pretty fragile. And, there's a species of
wild ass, the Onager, I believe (would hafta check) which can outrun any
horse ever born. The difficulty with Onagers is that they don't take well to
training, and the trait seems to be hereditary, so that crossing them with
horses to provide a hinny or a mule would result in something that can
outrun everything in the pasture, that no one could catch or train ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.