[Sca-cooks] Onagers

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Dec 17 16:15:52 PST 2004

At 03:54 PM 12/17/2004, you wrote:

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > Oh! Interesting. I believe there is a siege engine called an "onager".
> > I wonder if part of the reason might be that is a particularly onerous
> > machine to work with.
> >
> > Stefan
>
>Actually, I suspect that it was called an onager because it kicks like a
>jackass ;-) Onager-the-seige weapon is, I believe, a variation of what we
>call catapults, powered by a spring make of wound and tensioned rope.
>
>http://www.m-w.com/mw/art/onager.htm
>
>Saint Phlip,

Ya know, this is one of the reasons why I love this list (beyond that fact
that we're basically an enormous somewhat raucous family) is that you can
come up with a weird- at ss question or comment, even about weird at sses, and
get more info that you ever dreamed was out there. It's a gift- that what
it is. :-D)

'Lainie