[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Dec 18 18:43:04 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>>  Since my fridge runs at about the same temperature (40 degrees) why would
>>  you worry about the sweet-potato casserole Adamantius?  Wouldn't putting
>it
>>  into the cold car be little different from putting it into the fridge?
>>
>>  Curious Regina
>
>I don't think he's worried about the car, I think he's worried about the
>Health Dept ;-) An aueomobile is not on the list of Health Dept Approved
>refrigeration devices ;-)

I'm worried about the sweet potato casserole because I don't know
what it masses or what it contains, or what its temperature is before
going into the car. Hams, at least, are salty and not mixed up a lot.

>If you notice, he said:
>
>>  > If the items are refrigerator temperature (or at least room
>>  > temperature) already, they should be fine (just don't tell your local
>>  > board of health, etc.) If you're thinking of taking these foods out
>>  > of the oven and putting them in the car, it's probably a really bad
>>  > idea. The sweet potatoes, for example, you may be able to chill by
>>  > putting them, in their container, in a pan lower than the container,
>>  > and running cold water through the outside pan.
>>  >
>>  > Adamantius
>
>His other concern, obviously, would be that if the food is too warm, it
>might be spending too much time at the dangerous temps on the way down to
>40-50 degrees.

This was actually my main concern, and note that I didn't say not to
do it, just to exercise a reasonable degree of caution. I've had some
experiences at various times in the past where hot foods placed
outside to cool took excessively long times to cool down, and yes,
there is that danger zone to be considered, because 35-45-degree air
is not necessarily going to cool a hot food down to a safe
temperature in anywhere near the time you need.  It may, and that'll
depend a lot on how the food is portioned, how it's wrapped, if
there's air circulation, and the temperature the food was at when it
went in.

I addressed the sweet potato issue mostly because it's fairly simple
to cool down a ham or three, and a pan of sweet potato casserole
presents certain logistical problems...

A.

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782