[Sca-cooks] Mace and Must Substitute

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 19 10:02:03 PST 2004

And John Elys wrote:
>I'm confused.  I thought mace was just the outer skin of the nutmeg

Yes...

>so "whole" mace would be exactly the shape (if not the color) of
>whole nutmeg.

No, that would be the whole fruit (ok, so the fruit is removed - i
gotta get a jar of Indonesian nutmeg fruit jam), but that would be
the nutmeg covered with the mace...

>Or if it's already been removed from the nutmeg, it
>would look like little curls of brown paper.  Nicht wahr?

This is whole, as in unground. The only other mace i find is
powdered. It does not look like curls of brown paper. Rather, the
mace is entire, complete, cut only enough to get it off the nutmeg.
Capiche?

Anahita