[Sca-cooks] Sweet bread or cake recipe needed

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 13:43:12 PST 2004

--- M C Grasse <grasse at mscd.edu> wrote:

> Greetings the list
>
> I am hoping for recipe help.  I was kitchen help at an event last week,
> and ended up salvaging a 5lb container of: currants and chopped almonds
> that were simmered in white wine.

How about a variation on an Italian Panettone???  Very traditional Italian Christmas bread, and so
very appropos for this season.  The original recipe I use calls for raisins, but currants and
almonds steeped in wine would be a wonderful addition.

Rumor has it that the bread dates back to at least the 15th century, and is often accredited to
the Court of the Duke Ludovico Maria Sforza.

  Here's the recipe, in case you want to give it a shot:

Panettone

3 1/2 C white Bread Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 oz fresh yeast (or 2 packages dried yeast)
1/2 C 110 F Milk (lukewarm)
2 eggs, whole
2 egg yolks
6 T sugar (use brown for a richer flavor and deeper color)
2/3 C butter, softened but not melted
2/3 C mixed, chopped citrus peel
1/2 C raisins
melted butter for brushing

Line a 6-inch deep cake pan with a double layer of waxed paper.  Leave 3 inches of paper above the
rim of the pan (I cut a circle to fit the bottom, and then curl additional paper around the
sides.).

Sift the flour and salt together, make a well in the center.

Mix the yeast with 4 T of the warm (not hot) milk, then mix in the remainder.

Pour the yeast mixture into the flour, add the whole eggs, and mix in sufficient flour to make a
thick batter.  Sprinkle a little more flour over the top (to prevent a skin from forming) and let
it 'sponge' ina warm place for about 30 minutes.

Add the egg yolks and sugar and mix to a soft dough.  Work in the softened butter, turn out onto a
floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.  Place in a lightly
oiled bowl, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until
doubled in bulk.

Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead in the peel, raisins (or
your currants and almonds).  Shape into a ball and place in the prepared pan.

Cover again and let rise for about 1 more hour.

Heat oven to 375 F.  Brush the dough with melted butter, and cut a cross in the top of the dough
using a sharp knife.  Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350.  Brush with additional butter,
and bake for another 25 - 30 minutes or until golden.

Cool in the pan for 5 - 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Chopped bittersweet chocolate added along with the butter makes a very rich, deeply flavored
bread, which also makes outstanding French Toast (or Italian Toast, as the case may be).

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.