[Sca-cooks] Mace and Must Substitute

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Dec 19 15:46:02 PST 2004

>--- ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
>>  http://www.shamanshop.net/store/images/MyristicaFragrans7.jpg
>>  Here is a good picture of it... the red stuff is the mace
>

>Yep.  That is a good picture of Mace, and one I have not seen
>before.  I was not aware that the
>fresh membrane was red.  Interesting.  Thanks for the link.
>
>By the way...does anyone know if the outer fruit is edible/palatable??
>
>William de Grandfort

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Myri_fra.html
The pulp of the nutmeg fruit is tough, almost woody, and very sour.
In Indonesia, it is used to make a delicious jam with pleasant nutmeg
aroma (selei buah pala). Other uses of the pulp are not known to me.

There are also several, even better pictures of nutmeg fruit and mace.
Ranvaig