[Sca-cooks] Granado's Bizcochos w/ Orange Flower Water

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 15:07:42 PST 2004

> 8 whole eggs
> 4 separated eggs - see QUESTION 1
> a little orange flower water
> an eggshell of white wine
> 1 pound sugar - see QUESTION 2
> (1 pound?) fine white wheat flour - see QUESTION 3
> powdered sugar - see NOTE
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit
> 2. Beat well eggs with orange flower water and wine.
> 3. Add sugar little by little, beating constantly.
> 4. Add flour and beat forcefully.
> 5. Put the dough on a baking pan - square it neatly and make a loaf a
> couple inches high, rounding the sides slightly.
> 6. Bake until half-cooked.
> 7. Remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar, and slice into
> individual bars.
> 8. Return to the oven a second time, and let finish baking.
>
> NOTE: Granulated sugar can be turned into powdered sugar without
> additives by pouring it into a running food processor - takes just a
> few seconds.
>
> QUESTION 1 - so, i separate 4 eggs - then do i use the whites or the
> yolks in this recipe?

Use the yolks, I think.  I could be wrong though, they want you to beat
it quickly and with force, something you do with egg whites... also they
want "the dough must remain white, just as for fritters" which is hard
to do with extra yolks.

> QUESTION 2 - the sugar, ground - should that be normal granulated
> sugar or powdered sugar?

Granulated or maybe ultrafine/baking sugar.  Powdered sugar ONLY if you
can get it with no added starch.

> QUESTION 3 - how much flour? equal to sugar? half as much? twice as much?

Whew, that's a good question.  Comparing with contemporary biscotti
recipes,  I would try 2 parts flour to 1 part sugar with the first time
through and then tweak the recipe from there.

> QUESTION 4 - how long is half-done? about 15 minutes? I figure the
> loaves should not brown, and should be soft enough to slice...

Yes.  This is just like modern biscotti or mandelbrot.

Bon appetit, Selene