[Sca-cooks] The ACF, was: Hippenmas

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 20 17:34:47 PST 2004

Allrighty, fellow cooks.... here's a challenge for all of you.  But first, a
little background:
<snip>
In this particular competition, I was an Alternate, due to my own work
schedule, and the fact I was an Apprentice to a rather un-interested
Certified Executive Chef at the time (I'll offer up
my views on the ACF certification, and the general state of the
'professional kitchen' later, if
anyone is interested).
<snip>
William de Grandfort

Ok, I'll bite.  I served an ACF apprenticeship in the early '80s, was the
first woman to graduate in the South East.  I did a couple of food shows
during that time period, but never a cooking competition with a mystery box.
I too, have my own opinions of the competitors that had months to plan in
advance, but I won't go there.  I graduated and became a CC - Certified
Culinarian.  I never pursued the ACF strata after my apprenticeship (I had
the SCA, after all), and eventually got out of the business.  Time warp
forward to the 21st century, and lo and behold, I am back in the 80's,
working for a college that administers the now 2,3, or 4-year degrees that
go along with apprenticeships.  I am re-joining the ACF (200 bucks a year!),
and am studying to re-certify at the next level, Personal Certified Chef
(PCC).
There is a written and practical portion to the exam.  The practical
includes a "Market Basket" -ingredients are posted on the website
(www.acfchefs.org).     They are:
	  1 each 10 ounce Salmon filet
        2 each 1.25 pound live Maine Lobster
        2 each whole chickens (fabricate to your menus specifications during
the exam)
        2 ounces smoked bacon
        1 pound fresh spinach
        2 heads Boston lettuce
        1 piece Belgian endive
        1 pound Carrots
        3 each Russet or Yukon potatoes
        2 each Globe Artichokes
        2 each Bartlett pears or Granny Smith apples
        1 pint grape Tomatoes

    The three courses shall include:

    * Fish course (including both seafood items):appetizer portion
    * Salad course (tossed, with extra dressing served on the side):as part
of three-course meal
    * Main course (two or more accompanying vegetables and starch):
approximately 6-7 ounces protein

    The meal must include:

    * 4 classical vegetable cuts (i.e. Julienne, Tournee, Brunoise,
Alumette, Small dice, Paysanne, and Batonette)
    * 4 different cooking methods must be shown (i.e., fry, broil, sauté,
roast, boil, poach, steam, or grill)
    * Appropriate vegetable and starch accompaniment for the main course
(may bring in additional ingredients and prepare then for plate
accompaniments)
    * An emulsified vinaigrette (ingredients must be brought in)
    * 2 different sauces using different methods (i.e., roux-based,
reduction, or butter)

So, that's where I'm at with the American Culinary Federation, how about
you?
(If this gets too tedious to the list members at large, I promise we'll take
it off-list, but it might be interesting for a bit)
Christianna