[Sca-cooks] Apropos Sesame Oil

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 22:58:20 PST 2004

My ex-consort and i hadn't eaten dinner out in a while, so we had
Thai - pumpkin and chicken in a rich coconut and hot red "curry"
paste sauce, and fried fish and broccoli in a sauce of shrimp paste,
garlic, and lemon grass. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

Then we drove around trying to think of something else to do. It was
really cold out - 43 degrees! - we ended up trying to get into a
local ice cream parlor - but there was a 20 minute wait. Then i
remembered a pretty good gelato place and we drove over there.

Well, i couldn't resist - i had the medium with three flavors in a
rather modest cup. (1) Marron glace (not enough marron (that's
chestnuts) - (2) stracciatella (no, NOT egg shred soup, but fine
shreds of chocolate) - but most interesting was (3) the Black Sesame
Gelato.

Talk about earthy - and not only was it jam packed with crushed black
sesame seeds so that it was grey, but there was definitely a dash of
roasted sesame oil in it. Geoffroi really did NOT like it.

But i was ecstatic! and savoring every molecule. And if they have it
next time i'm in there i'm getting a whole cup of it. Heck, i may go
back tomorrow and get some to take home, 'cuz that place changes at
least some flavors every day.

Mmm-mmm-mmm, gray ice cream with crunchy black bits.

Anahita