[Sca-cooks] Self-heating coffee for war?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 21:45:50 PST 2004

Cadoc commented;
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:10:55 -0800, Susan Fox-Davis
> <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-12-19-self-
> heat_x.htm
> >
> > Now if they would just bottle self-heating hippocras, I would be a
> > happy camper!
> >
> > Selene
Personally, I'd be more interested in hot chocolate than the coffee.
The price is pretty steep, but there are times when it would be worth
it. Throwing several of these cans in the emergency camping supplies
might be a good idea, along with the freeze-dried foods. I'm thinking
of the times when camp has completely gotten soaked and you really need
something hot before starting the packing to pull out.
> I'm waiting for the first can to explode.
I suspect that these cans will be illegal to carry aboard a passenger
airliner, just like fuel canisters and other similar items are now.

Many people may not realize that while the canning part of this item is
new, the heating materials used and their being used to warm food dates
back to at least medieval times.
no-fire-cook-msg  (14K)  6/ 9/00    Period no-fire and solar cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/no-fire-cook-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas