[Sca-cooks] Baileys, was Frittering Laurels

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 02:11:28 PST 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Don't worry.  It's a subtle nuance rather than
> a foreground flavor.  I
> might get weird and lightly brown some cocoa
> nibs for the toasty note
> instead.

Okay!  Than I will put my life in your hands
and willingly become your taste tester.

> How are you on coconut?  I was thinking of a
> side experiment using a
> coconut milk base for the lactose-incompetent
> amongst us.

What is "lactose-incompetent"?  Or do you mean
"lactose-intolerant"?

I like coconut.  Sounds like a different drink
to me though.

For the lactose intolerant, how about making
advocaat?  I am not sure how old it is, but
Bols, who is the premiere company who makes it,
has been a distillery since 1575, according
to their website.

Here is an advocaat recipe:

10 Eggs
1/2 Level teaspoon salt
275 g Sugar
4 dl Cognac
1-1/2 level teaspoons vanilla

Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the
salt and the sugar, until the mixture is thick
and creamy. Beat in the cognac, very slowly and
put the mixture into a double saucepan. Heat
gently, whisking all the time until the advocaat
is warm (not hot) and thick. Remove the pan from
the heat and stir in the vanilla essence. Pour
into a jug.
Serving Size: 12
Advocaat is served in a glass and eaten with a
teaspoon. It can also be topped with whipped
cream.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.