[Sca-cooks] Christmas Carp Tradition

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 20:34:47 PST 2004

Ysabeau of Prague mentioned:
> I just saw this in the International Tribune...
> http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/22/news/carp.html
>
> I never would have thought of fish farming in the middle ages.
Interesting. I have seen a number of mentions of medieval farming of
fresh water fish. Apparently it was fairly common to keep eels in mill
ponds. This is the first time I've heard of carp being used, or of
special ponds being built. Perhaps that was more of an eastern Europe
thing and it really hasn't been until this last decade that material on
this area in medieval times has started to appear in English.

There is a bit more about medieval fish farming in this Florilegium
file:
fishing-msg       (21K)  7/ 9/02    Medieval fishing. Fish ponds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/fishing-msg.html

There is also this file, although it is on catching rather than
farming, freshwater fish:
Angling-art       (24K)  8/24/01    "A Historic Look at the Sport of
Angling" by
                                        Creador TwineDragon. Pennsic 26
class.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Angling-art/Angling-art.html

Here is a similar file, but less on fishing and more on eating what you
catch:
Complet-Anglr-msg (14K)  5/26/00    Recipes from "Compleat Angler",
1653.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Complet-Anglr-msg.html

Stefan
--------