[Sca-cooks] truffles

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 03:32:58 PST 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Thank you for the clarification. So what was the problem? Putting
>the truffles in the refrigerator? Or waiting too long to prepare
>them? Either way, it makes me wonder whether this is something the
>chef should have known and if so, whether he is one who should have
>been entrusted with cooking such an expensive treat. If he can't
>store it properly, can he cook it properly? But then, some folks
>seem to have too much money so I'm not going to cry for them and
>their misfortune.

You might just cry for the dam' waste of it all, and the wanton
destruction of an increasingly rare miracle of nature.

My guess as to what happened would fall somewhere between two
scenarios: the first being that they had the truffle on display, and
at night, instead of storing the truffle properly (they generally
ship in the perfect packing medium: arborio rice, which keeps the
truffle supported and dry, but also makes a stellar risotto when
you're done using it as packing), they may have simply slid the
entire display, or the part of it with the truffle in it, directly
into the fridge, thinking that would be all right. For a tool whose
purpose is to prevent decomposition, refrigerators can be remarkably
unsanitary breeding grounds for bacteria if not cleaned regularly.
Or, the second, that after several days at room temperature, the
truffle simply "went to seed" and did not actually... um... putresce
(is that a word?) in the way we traditionally interpret the word
"rotten", but became unusable for direct culinary applications. After
all, since virtually any culinary breakdown process (enzymatic
degradation, oxidation, or any of a number of chemical processes)
tend to be described by what I will charitably call the uninitiated
as "rotten" and/or "fermented", we don't really know, from the news
sources, the state of the truffle when it was deemed unusable; only
that it was unusable.

In either case, I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the fact
that such a valuable food item was entrusted to the care of someone
who should have been the most qualified to deal with it, but who
turned out to be among the least.

Adamantius, wishing he had the cash for a one-or-two-ounce white
truffle right now...

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04