[Sca-cooks] OT: A Stolen Christmas

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 23 06:51:20 PST 2004

JAMES REVELLS wrote:

>   Sorry for the rant folks, but I am need to express a few things. I
> would have been writing a note on the Cajun Christmas dinner I will be
> fixing for my brother & friends on Saturday, but I got a call
> yesterday as I was on my way to go shopping.
>    It's about time for my annual essay for Christmas, most of the time
> I am
> fairly happy, looking forward to the day & the end of Mall Extended
> Shopping
> Hours, but this year I am contemplating bloody mayhem.
>    My daughter, Dawn, moved back to South West Georgia this fall, to be
> near her grandmother & allow Daryan, my three year old granddaughter,
> to get
> to know her great grandmother better.  The trailer that we lived in is on
> some farm land that came to me from my grandfather, it was the place that
> Dawn felt happiest as a child.  It's been a rough year for them, Dawn &
> Jeff, her husband, split up.  They moved away from his side of the
> family,
> my ex-wife & I (they all live in NH & I in MA).  Dawn is working too
> much,
> to make ends meet.
>    However the girls were looking forward to Christmas.  It is the first
> one Daryan has anticipated.  She has been making plans & knew exactly
> what
> she wanted from Santa.  A week or so ago Daryan, whispered to my mother
> "Me-maw we have a secret!"
>    "What is it?" my mother asked.
>    "We got you a toaster-Don't Tell!" she replied.
>    Well, Daryan won't be giving Mom her toaster.  On Tuesday night
> some low
> life scum broke into my daughter's trailer & stole Christmas.  Dawn
> was at
> work & Daryan was at my Mom's house, so no one was physically harmed, but
> the thief stole the TV, VCR, DVD & all the gifts under the tree-including
> the toaster that Daryan was going to give her great grandmother.  The
> gifts
> & electronics can be replaced, but the thief also stole Dawn's comfort in
> her home & the joy that Daryan had in helping pick out her great
> grandmother's gift.
>    There will be gifts for her the girls under Me-maw's tree, for the
> first
> time in my life being such a procrastinator paid off.  I mailed the 57
> pounds of
> Christmas gifts to Georgia on Monday, so they weren't there to be stolen.
> Daryan will get the Shu Shu baby & talking vacuum  from Santa that she
> has
> been saying she wanted for two months, along with some other gifts from
> Grampa & Uncle Bones, but I can't give them back the important things
> that
> were stolen.
>    Pax,
> Olaf
> who will get his Christmas spirit back, but not quite yet.

My heart goes out to you and yours.  I'm not sure what prompts thieves
to do such things...the really sad part is that it wasn't probably to
give as gifts to the thief's family/friends, but rather to purchase
drugs.  It seems that this sort of thing proliferates at Christmas...I
know of folk who have had evergreen trees cut down out of their front
yards by thieves...and a dear friend had two Malamute dogs stolen from
their yard on Christmas Eve.  About the only thing you can do...and
maintain your own sanity...is to feel pity for those who have no more
substance to their lives than they do this.

Is there anything any of us can do?

Kiri