[Sca-cooks] al-Barran Midwinter is done!

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Dec 23 15:23:24 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:09:34 -0600
  Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Uh. oh. Yes, that pretty much explains the problem. I
>hope you explained to the peeling crew,
>  So, what did you do with all the hard boiled whites?

oh, yes... many curses were heaped upon the chickens'
butts for their production of such eeeeeeevil eggs.  the
whites?  some were mooshed into the chopped livah with
more yolks.   we pretty much gave the excess a decent
burial.  at 30 for $1, we were pretty cavalier with those
chthulu whites. 8)

> Except for the extra cost I guess that that isn't too
>different from using a "dry" site, although I'm not real
>fond of that either unless there are other advantages to
>the site which out weigh that.

we had to pay for each table and each chair, too.  but
it's the only site in town with a huge kitchen, parking
and enough off-rooms to let 400+ comfortably thru the
doors.  trust me, we are looking for another cheaper site.
 and trained bartenders from a restaurant chain
(garduno's) are pretty good for being able to tell someone
they need to slow down.  even tho we close the bar without
notice one hour before the site closes.

>> baltimore is doing the new mexican food this year. ;)
> Olwen has moved to New Mexico? :-)

hmmmmmmmmmm... nice idea but i don't know if the kingdom
is ready for olwen and i to be hanging out together! ;)

> Corn and pinto beans? No, thank you. I guess I can wing
>it from that. Although proportions are always nice to
>start from.

ever since my mother taught me to saute the onions for
chicken paprikash with a 'walnut sized piece of crisco',
exact measurements (other than baking) have never been my
strong suit.  i was blessed with a midwinter kitchen crew
that had no problem giving me 'one of those there tart
tins fulla cracked pepper' in the stew.

on the green chili questions:  bueno has a good frozen
product. canned green chilies aren't bad but frozen is
better.   fresh roasted from hatch is best, but when
proportioned and frozen, the heat builds in the freezing.

from my tex/mex cookbook...

Chiles Verdes con Carne (Green Chili Stew)
2 lb stew beef cut into 1 in. cubes (sub pork or equal
amount of ground beef -Cailte)
1 t. salt
1 t0 2 c. beef stock (or appropriate stock... or just
water and cook longer -Cailte)
1 c chopped onion
1 16 oz can tomatoes (i don't use it -Cailte)
7 4-oz cans green chilies (to taste--frozen, canned or
fresh--depends on your tolerance -Cailte)
1 clove garlic, chopped (i use more -Cailte means garlic
lover in gaelic)

Brown beef in 1 T hot oil in a large, heavy pot.  Add
remaining ingredients and simmer about 2 hrs or until beef
is tender.  Sometimes it is necessary to ad a little more
stock if stew looks dry.  Serve with or over pinto beans
and rice.

Cailte's note to the uninformed -- chilies get hotter the
more you cook them.  you might want to add them toward the
end of the cooking.  but then, i am a bit of a wimp)

> Hmmm. Sounds like a good Yule dish... :-)

xmas eve is posole, i believe.

pork, onions, garlic, posole (i cheat with hominy) and red
chilies (or chili powder).  yum!

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admisions