[Sca-cooks] Helpful Hint From Horatius...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 09:17:10 PST 2004

Adamantius, while discussing Markham's Sweet Cream Wafers,  tempted us with...

> > Hmmmm. To sandwich them with chocolate ganache or not to sandwich
> > them. That is the question...
> >
> > Adamantius
> > --

I might suggest a filling along these lines....  NOTE:  For this recipe, I highly recommend the
following:  Do not grease or otherwise oil/flour your pans (the batter will rise too high), and DO
line just the bottom of a cake pan with a disk of parchment or butchers wrap.  You will find it is
much, much easier to get the Tort out once it is cooled.

1 lb Unsalted Butter
1 lb Semisweet or Bittersweet Chocolate
1 C Sugar
1 C Espresso or Strong, brewed Coffee
8 eggs

Boil the Espresso, add the butter and sugar.  Stir to dissolve sugar and melt butter.  Remove from
heat and add chocolate.  Stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.  Add eggs, one at a time, and
beat to incorporate.  Batter's done!!

Place batter in your favorite decorative mold (this recipe makes exactly enough for 2 standard
8-inch cake pans, and the finished cake will settle a bit after baking to just fill the pan) place
pans in a larger pan and fill with hot water to come 1/2 way up the sides of the cake pans, and
bake at 325 F for exactly 45 minutes.

At this point, the Tort may be served hot (or warm, it will not be set, but it will be
oh-so-nummy) with whatever fruit or ice cream you like, but this is the beauty of this
recipe...chilling overnight produces a dense, firm Tort, which will hold up to slicing, scooping,
and cutting out with cookie cutters.

For the Wafer recipe, I would suggest baking the batter in a sheet pan (or walled cookie sheet)
lined with parchment, so you get a thin, flat Tort, which can then be cut using a 5-inch Biscuit
Ring once it is chilled.  It should just fit between two of your wafers perfectly, and the texture
is melt-in-your-mouth wonderful.  Dark, dark brown, and it just SCREAMS chocolate.

I have used this very, very simple recipe throughout my career, with much success.  A thin disk of
the stuff, topped with another thin disk of Raspberry Bavarian, topped with Vanilla Bean Whipped
Cream, and sprinkled with bittersweet chocolate curls..... it's a panty dropper.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.