[Sca-cooks] Re: Anchovy-Potatoes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 27 16:22:05 PST 2004

OK, i got the stuff for Jansson's Temptation. I made the casserole.

A few comments:

ONE
After an hour in the oven at 350F. most of the potatoes were not as
cooked as i like them. I took a serving anyway (they were cooked
through, but still had a bit of crunch), leaving the casserole on the
stove and covered with aluminum foil. Most of the potatoes were fine
after sitting for about 1/2 hour.

TWO
I used a bit less cream than the recipes called for (1 cup) and two
cans of anchovies, pouring the olive oil from the anchovy cans into
the cream as directed. It was plenty - if not more than enough. The
potatoes never absorbed all the cream, even after sitting overnight,
and i'd prefer something less wet.

So next time, i'll try beating a couple eggs into the cream.

THREE
Two cans of anchovies - GOOD - i'd probably like another can. But the
dish definitely could use some seasoning help. I realize that if i
were eating this with pickled herring i might feel differently, but,
well, anchovies - GOOD -  herring - NOT SO GOOD.

So, next time, i'm considering adding some herbs or spices.

FOUR
I sauteed the onions a bit before adding them to the casserole, as
many of the recipes directed. I think this was a good thing, since i
don't like crunchy onions. And they were limp and had started to
brown slightly while on the stove, which i like, but were not burned.

FIVE
I used my mom's antique Cuisinart to slice the potatoes and onions.
It was a godsend! Eight potatoes done in a matter of seconds, 2 large
onions, cut in half, and also done in a few seconds.

My mom bought the old Cuisinart back when they first made it to the
US shores, because she thought i had one, but i couldn't afford one
at the time. Since she never liked to use it, well, it didn't get
much use. So when i started cooking SCA feasts, i discovered how
useful one was - does the work of several minions and in less time.
So i retrieved it from her.

There was no instruction book, but i did get four or five
blades/discs and a plexiglas blade rack. I thought i had the pusher
when i got it, but i can't find it anymore... Anyone know where i can
find one? where i can get more blades? This has a large capacity
smoke-color clear plastic "bowl" and must be around 20 years old.

Anahita