[Sca-cooks] Catnip - probably more information than you would like to know

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 15:01:42 PST 2004

--- Samrah <auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> CATNIP Nepeta cataria
>
> Also known as: Mentioned by Gerard as "Catmint", although there are also plants called catmint.

> downy-like fuzz and white or pink flowers. Grows up to three feet tall and two feet wide. Its
> fragrance is said to resemble a combination of Camphor, Thyme & Pennyroyal.
>
> Notes: The infamous stuffing for catnip mice, but did you know that the same herb that keys
> kittens up, winds children down and calms upset tummies*?

So, what, exactly, is the chemical in Catnip which drives some cats wild, and how does it affect
them (scent? Contact?  Taste?)  I have seen cats go goo-goo over this stuff, but have never
understood why it affects them so profoundly.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.