[Sca-cooks] OOP foodie question for a friend....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Feb 8 15:13:30 PST 2004

Hey, everybody! A friend contacted me requesting info on early 19th c.
food, thinking (crafty girl that she is) that I could at least ask the
list, given the number of people whose interests and skills with food
extend past the SCA time frame....
So, she's looking for any information on what kinds of nibbles, food,
appetizers, and beverages would have been served at balls or
less-formal, but still "public" gatherings in the first decades of the
19th c? These goodies will be served at two different openings for a
museum's exhibit on Lewis & Clark.
The only food info I've got from post-SCA period in mid-18th century,
and a bit "rustic" for what she's looking for.  Does anyone have any
sources (online or text) or any ideas for me to pass on? I'd really
appreciate it!
Thanks,
Maire