[Sca-cooks] fruit varieties for cooking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 22:50:13 PST 2004

  Kirsten Houseknecht commented:
> i would use sour cherries.  if you add sugar to something like a Bing
> cherry you get sweet mush.
Do you mean that the added sugar actually helps turn these cherries to
mush? Or do you mean that since you are going to mush these anyway, you
end up with a sweet mush vs. a sour one?

> besides, sour was much more usual in cooking (still is)
Hmmm. There are particular varieties of apples that are better for
cooking, and I believe pears as well. Do most fruits have varieties
that are widely agreed to be better for cooking?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure these cooking varieties are easily
available, any more. Maybe I just don't recognise which varieties in
the fruit section of my grocery are specifially for or best for cooking.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com