[Sca-cooks] A dark day for NYC restaurants...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 08:57:33 PST 2004

While still reeling from the blow of yesterday's
news that Lutéce will soon be closing its doors,
never having recovered from the post-9/11
entertainment slump, I now find that Gage and
Tollner's will be serving its last dinner on
Valentine's Day, for the same reason.

Gage and Tollner's, on Fulton Street, for those
who haven't heard of it, wasn't an Old New York
institution: it was an old Brooklyn institution
before the city/borough of Brooklyn was
incorporated into The City Of Greater New York in
1899. They sold pretty much the same food they
had served in the 19th century, with lots of
oyster and other seafood dishes, various chowders
(yes, tomatoes are in evidence, but not the
spaghetti sauce with clams in it that many people
mistake for Manhattan Clam Chowder, Chicken
Maryland, a million different steak and chop
entities, and until fairly recently, a
world-famous turtle soup.

Edna Lewis was their chef for about ten years,
but she was an old lady when I first became aware
of her existence, so I assume she's gone now,
even if still alive.

The owner says they'll be re-opening in a new
location within a year, but I've seen too many
such relocated landmark restaurants (the
aforementioned Luchow's, Lundy's in Sheepshead
Bay, Brooklyn, Lindy's -- Damon Runyon's Mindy's,
that is) reopen either after long hiatuses or in
new digs, and they've never been the same. Most
don't survive the experience, and it goes without
saying that any reincarnation of G&T will lack
the etched mirror walls, the stamped-tin
ceilings, and the gas jets on the walls (well,
what _else_ would you light a dining room
with???).

<sigh>

And I have plans for Saturday night that preclude Gage and Tollner's.

I'd better call Peter Luger's, and make sure they're okay...

Adamantius