[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, OOP? Raw meat...

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 13:28:56 PST 2004

Tasting raw meat mixtures for seasoning was something every cook in the
midwest did pre - 1970 or so, including pork sausage, just a tiny bit.  Eating raw
fresh ground beef was something guys did on butchering day, or when you got it
fresh ground, while you watch at the butchers and ate it within an hour or
so.
An egg,rye bread, maybe. Homemade ketchup, maybe, horseradish, maybe, always
salt and pepper -- beer helped. Definitely a guy thing around the wood stove
in the garage or outbuilding, cold weather, beer. . . what guys would do on
Sunday afternoon instead of watching football.

Used to always eat my hamburgers just warm in the middle, but I knew what
calf they came from. Sigh, the good ol days. Still have recipes from my aunts
using uncooked eggs in pies, mostly chiffon pies, and New Years when an uncle
made a killer eggnog with fresh eggs and cream from his farm, nicely spiked with
rum.

The other Olwen