[Sca-cooks] Re: Life is short; eat dessert first

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 07:31:59 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/22/2004 1:19:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> My children seem to understand just fine why they can't eat dessert
> first.

It is true, that refined sugar will suppress the appetite.  However, on
occasions in the past, when there wasn't a lot of meat available, people would
serve a heavy pudding, with lots of suet and as much sweet as they could manage,
BEFORE the meat, to cut people's appetites.  (Hence the phrase 'To come in
pudding time' when the food is just being served.) No, no documentation - just
something I read lying around the cracking station...
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com