[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast (Olwen the Odd)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 22 12:24:36 PST 2004

Olwen, i used parsley *root* for my compost - hard to scrape green
leaves clean :-)

Unfortunately (among my many recent misfortunes) i cannot refer you
to my recipe. You see, the people hosting my web site had a family
emergency (their child had heart surgery) and weren't taking care of
their web hosting business (understandable), so my web site has been
down for at least 1-1/2 weeks. They're supposed to get it back up
this weekend... I was looking for a new host, but now that i've lost
all my data, i no longer have any of my graphics.

Faerisa wrote:
>  >Compost of Pasternak and of Peeres - Forme of Cury:
>>See original at  http://www.godecookery.com/alabama/alabam01.html#compost
>>
>>Gode Cookery translation:
>>
>>Pickled Salad. Take parsley, carrots, radishes; scrape and clean them.
>>Take white radishes & cabbages, pared and cored. Take an earthen pan with
>>clean water & set it on the fire; and put all these in. When they've
>>boiled, add pears and parboil well. Take all these things out and let cool
>>on a clean cloth. Add salt. When cooled, place in a container; add
>>vinegar, powder, and saffron, and let sit overnight. Take Greek wine &
>>honey, clarified together; take "lumbarde" mustard and whole currants, and
>>cinnamon, "powdour douce" & whole anise seed, & fennel seed. Take all
>>these things and place together in an earthen pot, and take from it when
>>you need to, and serve.
>>
>>      Modern recipe:
>>
>>           2 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped into medium sized pieces
>>           3-4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped into medium sized pieces
>>           1 1/2 heads cabbage
>>           1 tsp. salt
>>           1 cup white wine vinegar
>>           1 Tbs. ground ginger