[Sca-cooks] spices and I'm back...

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Feb 24 09:58:27 PST 2004

Ok, so I turn my backs on y'all for 5 days and you start discussing
interesting things! I had to come back.

There are, of course, two schools of thought: the botanical, which says
that herbs are the green bits (since an herb is a green non-woody or
semi-woody plant), and the spices are everything else, including resins,
barks, flowers, fruits, seeds.

The other school of thought is horticultural: it is a spice if you have to
import it and a herb if you grow it in your back yard.

I don't subscribe to either very much :)

My spices handout is online at:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/Easternspice.html

Caxton's Book of the trades lists some spices:
"gynger, galingale, cubibes, saffran,
pepre, comyne, sugre white and broun,
flour of cammelle, anyse, graynes of paradys"

My article on 'local spices' (seeds grown in Europe) is online at:
http://www.lehigh.edu/%7Ejahb/herbs/seeds.html

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If God is satisfied with the work, the work may be satisfied with
itself."  --  C.S. Lewis