P.S.: Re: [Sca-cooks] chorizo

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Feb 1 10:38:35 PST 2004

Also sprach me:
>>According to my cookbooks it is different, but they don't go into specifics
>>on the qualities of the Spanish one.  The predominate spices are garlic,
>>paprika and pimento paste.  These pork sausages are smoked for 12 to 24
>>hours.
>>
>>Friends of our family always used to make their own.  They built a smoker in
>>their garage specifically for that purpose.  I can try to get their recipe
>>(of course, everyone has a slightly different variation - my favorite is the
>>one from the older Portuguese store by my parent's house), not sure when
>>I'll get a chance though :-(
>>
>>Keep in mind chourica comes in mild (doce) and spicy (picante).  In caldo
>>verde I prefer the mild one so that it doesn't overpower the more delicate
>>flavors in the soup, but the spicy one is really nice pan fried and served
>>on fresh bread (yum!).
>
>The last time I was in Newport, I encountered a smoked sausage that
>I seem to recall was chourica, but it was given to me when I
>specifically asked for linguica. I remember the chourica being
>pretty similar to krajana, the smoked, moderately garlicky,
>coarse-ground version of Polska kielbasa (as opposed to siekana,
>which is the fine-ground --and conceptually fine-- inspiration for
>the rather-poorly-executed Hillshire Farms Allegedly Polska
>Kielbasa). It had some paprika or other red pepper in it, but wasn't
>particularly spicy. It seemed to be another in a fairly generic
>family of garlicky smoked sausages, which include Hungarian, French,
>Spanish, Portuguese, South American, and probably North African,
>versions. Which brings me to this question:
>
>Since I went looking for linguica and came back with chourica (it's
>a long story, doesn't bear repeating), how much difference is there
>between them? (I'm not suggesting there's none; I just don't know
>what it is, and figure someone else here might.)

P.S.: I did a quick web search and at least one company selling
linguica and chourico by mail-order and online, suggests that
linguica and chourico are essentially the same (in fact, identical
except for spice quantity/proportion), but with chourico being hotter
than linguica. If that's the case, it's possible that what I got was
actually linguica after all.

A.