[Sca-cooks] Period baking ovens

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 2 06:05:00 PST 2004

What I have seen suggests that it is wood storage.  The firebox style of
oven is (to my knowledge) a modern period invention which came into use
after iron became readily available.  Fireboxes require the heat be
conducted, which is very wasteful of energy in a totally stone or brick
heat-mass oven.

Bear