[Sca-cooks] sausage can be fun...

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Mon Feb 2 11:51:27 PST 2004

At 10:19 AM 2/2/2004,Mairi Ceilidh said something like:
>Thanks for the heads up, Phlip.  Actually, I am just using that one listed
>on Ebay as an example.  Harbor Freight sells them, and there is one within a
>couple of hours of here.  My best friends live about 45 minutes from it, and
>I can surely find a way to bribe them to get to Jax and pick up one for me
>(O.K., Dinah, what will it take?).  Of course, with gas prices lately,
>shipping may not be as expensive as gas :-)
>
>Mairi Ceilidh

The shipping on this item is $3.95 (they charge based on how much stuff you
buy).  Their customer service is also outstanding, and they work hard to
make sure that you are happy.

If you're curious, the manual for the item is available in .pdf format at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/44000-44999/44660.PDF

I've always been cracked up by the standard warning that you don't use the
item you are purchasing while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Hmmm.

When I did the two kinds of sausages for 50 at the Talanque Tourney a
couple years ago, I started off trying to stuff with the Kitchenaid
stuffer. It was frustrating and slow. I then pulled out the #10 meat
grinder, a set of cheap plastic funnels, scissors and duct tape, and within
a few minutes I was cranking out large amounts of stuffed sausages using
the mcgyver'd meat grinder.   Those sausage stuffing tubes at $2.99 would
have been a major life and sanity saver back then.

Where do you folks buy your sausage casings at? I had bought mine at $5/100
feet from Heinsohns, but I was wondering if there was a more convenient
source anywhere.  And, with these new interesting regulations on innards
that can't be sold anymore, will sausage casings be affected?

Regards,
Maggie MacD.