[Sca-cooks] Beets and backfiles was Beets

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 08:29:33 PST 2004

--- david friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
wrote:

> I think the first one is clearly the root,
> since
> it talks about the problem of the broth being
> too
> red, which I don't think happens with the
> greens.
> For the rest, how do we know if what is being
> used is the root or the green? At least in
> English "red beets" is the name of the
> plant--Gerard talks about the use of its
> greens,
> as well as recommending the use of the root.

> >>From Marx Rumpolt, 1581:
> >
> >7. Green salad/ that is small and young/ red
> >beets cut small/ and tossed thereover/ when
> the
> >salad is prepared/ and the red beets are
> >cooked and cooled.

I am of two minds over this recipe.  It does say
green salad.  However, the last part talks about
cooking and cooling the beets, which I don't
think has to be done with the greens.  Why cook
something that doesn't need cooking?d  To me,
this indicates the root, which does need cooking.

> >21. Take white beet (according to Hopf #378)
> >stems/ peel and poach then in water/ prepare
> it
> >with oil/ vinegar and salt.

Again, two minds.  It says stems, but it also
says to peel.

> >29. Red beet salad/ when they are cooked/ so
> cut
> >them small/ long or diced/ season it with oil/
> >vinegar and salt/ may make it sweet or sour.

This is more clearly the beet root, IMHO.

> >39. Take sugar (sugar beet!)/ season it and
> >scrape it/ so they turn white/ poach then
> >in water/ and cool/ season it with vineger/
> oil
> >and salt. You can also serve them raw/ if they
> >are clean and well peeled or scraped.

To me, this indicates the root also.

> >3. Red beets preserved with small cut
> >horseradish/ anise/ coriander/ and a little
> >caraway/ special if the beets are cut/
> marinated
> >in half wine and half vinegar.

This is a very traditional German way of
preserving beet roots.  In reading this, I see
the ancestor of the current modern German recipes
for serving beet roots.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.