[Sca-cooks] Beets

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 3 14:29:14 PST 2004

Greetings,

I have a bit of a thought regarding this whole beet leaf/beet root
discussion. But unfortunately I cannot quote exactly what I want. A couple
of days ago I was at a friends house perusing her copy of The Domonstroi and
there was information on beets.

In the section on gardening where he is describing how to plant a garden he
begins with building a wall and then planting beets all along the perimeter
of the garden. He tells you to harvest the greens year round and give some
of them to the poor. At the end of the section he tells you to dig the beet
roots an pickle them along with your other veggies.

If anyone has a copy of The Domonstroi handy please check up on me and see
if I remember correctly. If you are feeling rambunctious please post the
pertinent info to the list.

I believe that this implies that both the beet root and the beet leaves were
eaten, but that (at least in Eastern Europe) they would not have eaten the
beet root until the end of the season when there were no more greens
forthcoming. So there is the possibility that both interpretations of the
recipe could be correct, but that the root would only be used if you were
preparing the tart late in the season. During the production time of the
year it would probably be the greens.

Or, I could be crazy, either is an option.
Glad Tidings,

--Serena da Riva