[Sca-cooks] waffles

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 13:53:04 PST 2004

Thank you Christianna, for passing on my post
from a couple of years ago.

I have an update to this post in that, while
Peter Rose's cookbook is the only old Dutch
cookbook _printed_ in English, I found the other
day that Cindy Renfrow's website now has links to
two [yes, two!] websites where two period Dutch
cookbooks are being translated into English.  I
was soooo excited!

Huette

--- kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> The kid was having a belgian style waffle for
> supper last night and we got
> into a "who thinks up this stuff?"
> conversation. I thought that waffles
> were a decendant or at least a distant relative
> of wafers. Does anyone
> know?
>
> Mirhaxa
>
>   mirhaxa at morktorn.com
>

> That sounds kind of like the question "which
> came first, the waffle or the
> wafer?".  I can't answer that question, but I
> can give you some sources that
> show the waffle in period (I'll leave the wafer
> docs to someone else,
> although the citations below talk about both).
> Christianna
>
> >From Katie Stewart's book "The Joy of
> Eating",pages 86-87.
> Unfortunately, Ms. Stewart does not give us the
> name of the artist or the
> name of the painting, but the painting appears
> to be dated 1560.  We see a
> multigenerational family, grandparents, parents
> and baby. Next to the
> grandfather is a plate of waffles, next to the
> mother is a plate of
> pancakes.  The grandmother is making the
> pancakes in the background, using a
> skillet to make the pancakes.  The skillet is
> suspended over the fire by a
> large ring attached to a set of chains.
>
> >From Peter Rose's book, "The Sensible Cook",
> we find these paintings:
>
> Page 2: Jan Steen, "The 12th Night Feast" Jan
> Steen 1626-1679.
> Page 15: Willem Buytewech, "Interior" 1610.
> Page 22: Jan Steen, "The St. Nicholas
> Celebration"
> Page 77: Nicholas Maes, "The Pancake Maker"
> Nicholas Maes 1634-1693.
> Page 117: No artist or date: "Sweet meal"
>
> >From "De Verstandige Kock" [Dutch 1667, the
> preface says that many of the
> recipes in this cookbook copy those from "Eenen
> Seer Schonen/ende
> Excellenten
> Coc-boeck" published in 1589.  This is the only
> period Dutch cookbook that
> has been translated into English. There are
> many paintings of pancakes and
> waffles that
> are pre-1600.   -Huette
>
> 1) To fry common Pancakes.
> For each pond of Wheat-flour take a pint of
> sweet Milk and 3 Eggs.
> Some add some sugar to it.
>
> 2) To fry the best kind of Pancakes.
> Take 5 or 6 Eggs with clean, running water, add
> to it Cloves, Cinnamon,
> Mace, and Nutmeg with some Salt, beat it with
> some Wheat-flour as thick as
> you like,
> fry them and sprinkle them with Sugar; these
> are prepared with running water
> because with Milk or Cream they would be tough.
>
> 3) To fry Groeninger Pancakes.
> Take a pond of Wheat-flour, 3 Eggs, a quarter
> pond of Currants and Some
> Cinnamon, this is fried in Butter.  Is good.
>
> 4) To fry Waffles.
> For each pond of Wheat-flour take a pint of
> [...]

=====
shall never cease to be amused.