[Sca-cooks] Spirits of hartshorn

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 8 16:23:28 PST 2004

Hartshorn is ammonium carbonate and IIRC there is an in period reference to
its use in one of the German cookbooks.  I believe ammonium bicarbonate is
more commonly used these days.

Spirits of hartshorn would be sal volatile, a mixture of ammonium carbonate
and alcohol or water (the latter producing ammonium hydroxide).  Commonly
called smelling salts.

Bear