[Sca-cooks] Cherry question

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Feb 9 14:22:58 PST 2004

At 16:07 -0500 2004-02-09, KristiWhyKelly at aol.com wrote:
> I got this recipe from the New book of Cookery 1591.  Does anyone have ideas
> on which type I should be using, sour or sweet cherries?  I'm leaning toward
> sour just because they have a more robust flavor and texture that would hold up
> to frying and then boiling.
>
> Thanks,
> Grace
>
> To make pottage of Cherries.
> Fry white bread in butter til it be brown and so put it into a dish, then
> take Cherries and take out the stones and frye them where you fried the bread
> then put thereto Sugar, Ginger, and Sinamon, for lacke of broth, take White or
> Claret Wine, boyle these togither, and that doon, serve them upon your Tostes.

There's a 1593 Dutch recipe somewhat similar from Cocboeck that calls
for the use of sour cherries.

The following is a rough translation:

"71 How to make sour-cherry-sauce.

Take sour-cherries and remove the stones and put therewith some thick red wine or some other wine or nothing [more than] its own broth and put therewith some butter, sugar and some ginger and cinnamon -- as it pleases you -- and four or five egg yolks until you have it good and leave well to boil and then put through a sieve. Then you might boil it again a bit and then add first-times the sugar and the herbs."

Thorvald