[Sca-cooks] Commercial bread leavening

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 12 09:06:09 PST 2004

> >Soda bread is a bread leavened with baking soda rather than yeast.
>
> I was going to ask whether this meant that most modern, commercial breads were soda breads, but then Admantius' comments make it clear that "soda bread" is actually a bit more specific than that. But this does raise a question. What is the rising agent in most commercial breads, the wonder bread and similar ones, not the artesian breads baked in your local deli? Are they using yeast or a chemical agent? For years I had assumed the latter, but now I'm wondering if it isn't yeast after all.

Um, yeah, it's yeast- for any kind of 'regular bread', including Maiers
and Wonder Bread.

Baking powder is often used in cakes and 'quick breads', though. Quick
breads are the ones that have a more cakelike texture. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"For so many years gentle has been equated with weakness, but it requires
more strength to be gentle, so it's the everyday encounters of life that I
think we've prepared children for and prepared them to be good to other
people and to consider other people." -- Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo)