was P Re: [Sca-cooks] Plentyn Delit, now taught to cook

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 14 09:36:13 PST 2004

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>I think you're right.  I know a lot of people have trouble redacting
>recipes, but it sort of came naturally to me as well...but then I
>cook using the "a dab of this and a 'glunck' of that" method.
>Kiri
>
>aeduin wrote:
>
>>I was taught by my mother and grandmother to cook by eye and taste.
>>It certainly annoyed the people at Cal Poly's restaurant school
>>when I cooked like that instead of blindly following the recipes.
>>
>>AEduin

>>>I'm a traditional 'by eye' cook, and I often find that reading the
>>>original recipe (in translation, if necessary) is a lot easier than
>>>following someone else's modern style recipe. I wonder if it has to do
>>>with the way people's brains work or just the way we are taught to cook?

This is all very well. I also don't bother with modern-type recipes
in period cookery, although a pre-conceived (even if conceived by
you) notion of ingredient proportions will help if someone other than
you is preparing the dish, and when you're shopping.

But as homey and warming as all this intuitive cooking-by-eye is (and
I'm not criticizing what I do myself), there is something to be said
for using and following recipes as well. If the dish is something
you've never cooked before, aren't sure whether it's a pottage, stew
or casserole (because ingredient proportions often largely determine
or at least indicate this), it helps to have a recipe, and most of
the great cooking-by-eye cooks of my experience have worked from
recipes which they've pretty well got memorized, measure by eye (or
some other not-very-obvious unit, such as a lump of butter the size
of an egg) only after considerable experience using more traditional
tools.

To be honest in a situation where honesty in this may not be taken
well by everyone, the fact is that some people who cook by eye simply
aren't interested in reproducible or consistent results, if taking
the time to measure stuff and wash the little spoons and cups is what
that costs. Sometimes I fall into that category.

And then, some of the most gosh-awful cooking (and especially baking)
I've ever encountered has come from people who not only cook by eye,
but who frequently use the dread expression, "Been there, done that."
Often they add, "Bought the T-shirt," when in fact they have not been
there recently, if at all, obviously not done that often enough, and
ought to reread what it says on the T-shirt for their own good.

Recipes exist as either a memory aid or a teaching tool, and if the
cook who is supposed to be receiving input from the recipe is simply
taking the ingredients list and throwing the ingredients together in
whatever way they feel like at the spur of the moment, the results
may be good, but not necessarily what the original cook intended (is
it in the first edition of Pleyn Delit or maybe To The King's Taste
where mortrews ends up as meatloaf?).

I get a little tic in my left eye whenever I hear the word "blindly"
used in close proximity to the phrase "following recipes"; it almost
invariably is an implication that following recipes closely is
considered by the speaker a bad thing, that it is limiting and
uncreative. Now, it's possible that following the recipe can be taken
too far, (as in the case of my friend, who, after having made three
layers of lasagne, sauce, cheese, etc., stopped because the recipe
said to add the third layer, and then ended, while there was still
room in the pan and ingredients left over, a sort of "end of file
error"), but recipes exist in large part to teach culinary theory as
well as practice. When you've followed enough recipes to get a sense
of what'll happen when you do Thing X, as opposed to Thing Y, then
you've probably learned everything you can from the recipe, and why
it is the way it is, and then it's time to move on.

But restaurant cooks, in my experience, are not really cooking by
eye, in the way that most people mean it, even if they appear to be,
and are not blindly following recipes, either, at least not always
(Stouffer recipe kitchens notwithstanding). And if I were a culinary
instructor for a food-service venue (instead of just teaching people
to cook so they can eat) and gave a student a recipe to follow, and
they told me they'd done it intuitively or by eye instead of
following the recipe, you can be sure they'd be graded on absolutely
everything I could find "wrong" with it, no matter how tasty it was.
Final grade would be something like, "Beautiful presentation, sublime
flavor, but not what I asked for. F."

For period cookery, though, while I agree that it can be a better
re-creative experience to simply follow the period recipe as written,
filling in the missing details as best you can, instead of following
someone else's opinions on the matter. But that's not the same as
thinking the original cook, who did not include this information, did
not care what was done, or that anything goes.

Adamantius