[Sca-cooks] PLEYN delit was Plentyn Delit, now taught to cook

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Feb 14 16:00:11 PST 2004

I think it rather matters a great deal in what one is doing with
the dish. If at home and making dinner for the family--- experiment.
A potluck dish that you never intend to make again-- fine-- have fun.
But that being said--- If you are working on trying to write
documentation for a contest
or in writing an article or a recipe that is going to be published
someplace,
then please take the time to get it right and make it reasonable.
And be honest. Write it as down as it really was made.
Don't microwave the dish and tell the judges that one baked it
(especially when
in fact the original recipe calls for the dish to stewed.) Don't think
that the folks eating the dish won't notice the canned ingredients, even
if the recipe indicates that they ought to be freshly prepared. Was it
really
4 pounds of fruit or 6 cans?
I may not always publish my exact recipes when doing a dessert sideboard,
but I have a notebook at home that records what I did, used, and in what
amounts
for what was served. It's a valuable record for recreating recipes and
a good habit to get into doing when working with historic cookery.

Johnnae llyn Lewis