[Sca-cooks] Valentine's Dinner

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 20:50:04 PST 2004

I thought I would share this with you folks, as it turned out so
wonderfully.  Phillip was out of town this past week (in Birmingham,
AL...where he could find no restaurants that struck his fancy), so we
didn't get reservations at one of our local establishments...all of them
were booked solid (unless we wanted to eat at 4:30 in the afternoon or
9:00 at night).  So we decided to explore one of our many cookbooks and
do something at home.

My sister had given me a Provencal cookbook last year...one of those
lovely coffee-table  books with lots of wonderful pictures, etc.  I was
a little uncertain as to how good the recipes would be, so we hadn't
tried it.  But we decided to experiment with it today.  Oh my!  The
results were incredible.  We had Beef Birds Provencal, Stuffed Onions
(ham, ricotta, spinach, etc. with a home made tomato sauce) and Sauteed
Mushrooms Provencal.  The dishes, except for the mushrooms, were fairly
complex, but oh, so good.  We had a 23 year old Pinot Noir from the
Mirassou Winery in California with the meal.  I doubt we could have done
any better at any of the local restaurants...and yes, I'm braggin on our
results.  For dessert, we're having a pumpkin creme brulee from Four and
Twenty Blackbirds in NYC.

What did anyone else do for Valentine's Day?

Kiri