[Sca-cooks] Valentine's Day dinner.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 15 10:50:45 PST 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Hey, happy birthday!
>--maire
>
>Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>
>>It being my birthday, some relatives took me out for dinner.  I had
>>a Caesar salad and shrimp scampi with linguini.  The salad dressing
>>was good, but I was disappointed that the greens were limited to
>>iceberg lettuce.

Hmmm. Classically, Caesar (actually I believe the man for whom it is
named spelled it "Cesare") salad is made with Romaine, and no other
greens, unless you count the garlic in the dressing. I also had some
Ceasar (Cesare?) salad last night: mine was tasty, but seemed to be
mostly cheese and anchovy. I like both, but what makes it is that
perfect marriage of egg yolk, lemon, olive oil, garlic, cheese,
anchovy, and Worcestershire. I'm talking about the Real McCoy, not
the pre-made salad dressings a lot of places now use: this is good
also, and for a while it seemed to me I was making the stuff for a
living 48 hours a week, so I got quite good at it, but Caesar (or
Cesare) would have been shocked... especially when he found that I
used to sneak a dash of Tabasco into mine.

Adamantius