[Sca-cooks] Fw: more food challenges!- Angostura Bitters

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 15 12:17:55 PST 2004

I'll go along with everyone else here and say that Angostura Bitters can be
found in most grocery stores and/or liquor stores.
I would add that it sounds like waaaay too much fruit was used in the
'family recipe'.
My bartending school cheat sheet calls for:
Old Fashioned - build in a rocks glass; Dash of bitters, dash of bar syrup,
bourbon, club soda, flag for garnish.
Mr. Boston's Deluxe Official Bartender's Guide calls for:
Old Fashioned Cocktail:
Into an old-fashioned glass put a small cube of sugar, a dash of Angustora
Bitter, a teaspoon of water and muddle well.  Add 2 oz. Old Mr. Boston
Blended Whiskey.  Stir.  Add twist of lemon peel and ice cubes.  Decorate
with slice of orange, lemon, and a cherry.  Serve with a swiggle stick.

I remember my Dad drinking these, he used marischino cherry juice instead of
the sugar and water, and I well-remember the discussions about the proper
amount of time for 'muddling'.  In any case, most of the fruit seems to be a
side-of-the-glass garnish.
Christianna
who has old bottles of bourbon and Angostura bitters on the rarely-used
liquor shelf.