[Sca-cooks] Ceasar Salads, was Valentine's Day dinner.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 15 12:34:18 PST 2004

Also sprach <kingstaste at mindspring.com>:
>Has anyone else noticed this trend?  I remember very well lots of folks not
>liking Ceasar, it being the less-often chosen item on the menu.  Now, it
>seems to be relegated to the iceberg and creamy-ranch imitations, and from
>there bastardized further to mean "it contains lettuce, maybe even romaine
>if you're lucky".
>Christianna
>shaking my head and feeling like a snob...

Caesar is "in" at the moment. Actually, as with most food trends that
make into the fast-food lexicon, it was in seven or eight years ago.
(Can't wait till Wendy's serves something with a clear tomato
reduction, maybe a lemon-grass-infused oil, can ya?)

But I think the fast-food usage seems generally to include both
shredded lettuce (even Romaine, sometimes) and some species of bland,
innocuous creamy dressing.

Now, I _like_ the creamy pseudo-Caesar dressing (sometimes I even had
to add cream to it, under protest). The stuff I made was pretty
universally recognized as killer stuff, and far from innocuous, in
spite of having only one ingredient not in the classic dish.

But that, compared to a cool, crisp Romaine hearts tossed with a
dressing tossed in the mixing bowl, still slightly warm from coddling
the egg? No contest.

Adamantius