[Sca-cooks] Partly OP: Brown vs. white rice?

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Feb 15 17:34:28 PST 2004

Ok, this is a bit of a crank theory of mine, so be patient with me.

My (non-expert) understanding of the whole brown vs. white rice thing
is that polishing the bran off of the rice does two things: 1. it makes
it easier to digest, and 2. it helps it keep from spoiling.  I've heard
(on this list) that brown rice is looked down upon in asia as being bad
for you and peasant food, and that they've been polishing rice in asia
pretty much for all of recorded history.  If someone knows otherwise on
any of this, please correct me.

So here's where the crackpot theory comes in:  the rice used in period
was white rice.
(all references to period here refer to England and France between 1100
and 1600 -
any other region or time and I'm liable to be way off base).

In support:
1.  Rice wasn't grown in northern Europe in period, and all of the rice
they ate was imported from the far east.  Polished rice would have been
sent to prevent it from spoiling on the trip.

2.  Many of the dishes made with rice in period cookbooks reference the
color white.

3.  I have yet to see a period source refer to rice as being brown.

4.  Numerous examples can be found of instructions for removing hulls
and such from just about every grain grown - except for rice.

5.  Exporting polished rice would have helped keep a sort of monopoly
going since the rice then couldn't be planted (this may have been
unintentional).

So ... <donning asbestos underwear> ... how's that?

- Doc (who should know better than to air such theories in public)