[Sca-cooks] Partly OP: Brown vs. white rice?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 20:54:01 PST 2004

Magdalena asked:
> Ok, health-foodie me has been wondering something for a while.  Today,
> white rice is completely ubiquitous and brown rice is so far an
> exception that some small grocery stores don't even carry it.  How long
> this has been true?  When did folks start processing the bran off of
> rice, and when/where did it become so common that brown rice became the
> exception instead of the rule?  What would be an appropriate rice to
> use
> for period applications - brown or white, long or short grain?
We have discussed this before, although I don't remember all the
details. I seem to remember that the white rice, like the whiter wheat
for bread, was prized *because* it took more effort to produce it.

You might take a look at some of our previous conversations on this, in
this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
rice-msg          (63K)  6/19/02    Period rice. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/rice-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas