[Sca-cooks] Partly OP: Brown vs. white rice?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Feb 16 06:49:31 PST 2004

> >> 1.  Rice wasn't grown in northern Europe in period, and all of the
> >> rice
> >> they ate was imported from the far east.  Polished rice would have
> >> been
> >> sent to prevent it from spoiling on the trip.
> >
> > Not to disagree with your theory, but I seem to recall rice was being
> > grown in Italy and some other parts of the mediterrean in period.
>
> I wouldn't deny that possibility/probability  -  Terry posted some
> details of rice production around the Mediterranean.  However I did say
> in my earlier post that I was referring to northern Europe, more
> specifically England.

But the rice that they ate in Northern Europe was imported from the
Mediterrean, not from the far East, which was the point I was trying to
make.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"But he's a human being and terrible things happen to him so attention
must be paid.... Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a
person."  -- Arthur Miller, _Death of a Salesman_