[Sca-cooks] lemon syrup

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 07:31:18 PST 2004

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>  > >numbers and don't have several lemon trees in your backyard, reconstituted
>>  >Lemon juice works just fine, and it makes it possible to get enough lemon
>>  >drink for people!
>>
>>  Hah! Down with the lemon-drying infidels! Purge the earth of all who
>>  would use a convenience product! They are a menace to the great
>>  American way of life and threaten family values!!!
>
>*grin* they also keep a person from spending hours prepping lemon peels
>for candying because they can't stand the idea of throwing away _40_ lemon
>peels...

To juxtapose... the last time I made candied peel, I met an old man
on a local street corner, selling, as per some Latino market
tradition, various peeled fruits, ranging from pineapples and mangoes
to avocado, sometimes cut into chunks, sprinkled in some cases with
hot sauce and/or salt. But I noticed he was selling peeled oranges in
some manner, and was using a gizmo very much like those
apple-peeler-slicer thingies (essentially a lathe) to peel the
oranges, and he had, hanging underneath the contraption, a clean
plastic shopping bag that he was using to catch the
four-or-five-foot-long, 1/8-inch wide strips of orange peel, devoid
of almost all pith (most of which was still on the oranges).

I pointed out that the bag was getting quite full: did he do anything
with them? He said sometimes he'd take them home and squeeze them out
in a towel to get orange oil for cleaning and polishing his
furniture, and he'd heard that people sometimes make candy from them,
but that usually he threw them away.

I think I gave him about three bucks for the bag...

Adamantius