[Sca-cooks] herb -infused sugars

Colleen L McDonald Colleen.McDonald at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 15:32:40 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 14:14, Wildecelery at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings to the List!
>
> I'm working on my entries for Northern Lights...and just for the heck of
it trying to actually come up with things in 5 categories.  I've been working on herb-infused
(ginger, lavender, rose)  sugars, just because they're lovely in teas... but I'm hitting a wall when
it comes to seeking out documentation.  Any suggestions?

> -Ardenia>>

Plat's Delightes for Ladies (which I think has already been mentioned)
has some recipes for rose sugar.

Here are some other souces that might be of use:

Askham, Anthony.  A Little Herball.  1561(?).  Amsterdam: Theatrum Orbis
Terrarum, Ltd.; Norwood, NJ: Walter J. Johnson, Inc., 1977.
ISBN: 090-221-0843-0

A Boke Of The Properties of Herbes Called an Herball.  London: n.p. ,
1559 (?)
	could be the work of William Copland.
(on microfilm)

A Newe Herball of Macer, Translated out of Laten in to Englysshe.
London: Robert Wyer, 1543(?)
	Falsely attributed to Macer.
(on microfilm).

Have you found documentation for using the herb-infused sugars for
sweets/treat type usage?  When I made my sugar roset, I was surprised to
find that the use specified by Askham is purely medicinal in nature -
but boy, it tastes good!

Good luck and I hope that these help.

In service, I remain

Cainder