[Sca-cooks]Blancmanger was Recipe evolution

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 17 10:26:56 PST 2004

There's rather a good article on the history of
"Blanc manger"....
See
Sorting through the Titles of Medieval Dishes:
What Is, or Is Not, a "Blanc Manger"
by
Constance B. Hieatt
appears in
Food in the Middle Ages. A Book of Essays.
Edited by Melitta Weiss Adamson. NY: Garland, 1995.
The article is on pp.25-43.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

>> Stefan asked:
>> This is an interesting example of recipe evolution. I'm afraid I'm
>> not that familiar with blancmange, though.
>> Was this a sudden change in the mid 17th century? Or a gradual change
>> over time? Over perhaps a gradaul change can be documented with a
>> sudden shift in the 17th century? Do we have enough blancmange
>> recipes to track this? I don't remember blancmange being a recipe
>> that has been addressed here much.
>

> Sure you do... blankmanger? Blomanger? "A White Dish of Capon"? We've
> talked about all of them here.
> snipped  Blancmange has simply survived as a dessert, with the white
> and sweet aspects surviving, and the poultry or fish, the rice, and
> sometimes, the almonds being lost.
> I don't suppose I should hold out any hopes you'd remember the Python
> sketch about the Evil Blancmanges from Outer Space, who were trying to
> win the Wimbledon tennis tournament?
> Adamantius

The DVD set has the sketch on it in case people need to refresh their
memory.