[Sca-cooks] Partly OP: Brown vs. white rice?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 14:07:04 PST 2004

Terry Decker/Bear wrote:
>Brown rice is any rice which has not been milled to the point of removing
>the aeluronic layer.  Polished rice is milled rice that has been treated
>with linseed oil to provide a "polish" coat.

In Indonesia i loved red rice. This is rice that has not been
completely milled. The outside is an opaque brick-red-brown. When
cooked, each grain expands and the inside becomes a lovely pink. It
has been a couple decades since i've been in Indonesia, but my memory
of it is that is is "nuttier" and more strongly flavored than white
rice, and had a distinctive flavor i am unable to remember clearly
enough to attempt to describe. This to me what what "brown rice"
ought to be more like. Red rice is sold in the US at obscenely high
prices in supermarkets and health food stores. I have not yet cooked
any to compare with my memories.

We also had black rice. Again an opaque outside, this time nearly
black, but when cooked the paler inside expands to a lovely lavender
color. There are two kinds i know of, one a sticky (short, i believe)
grain, the other a non-sticky (long, i believe) grain. Black rice was
served as a snack food in Indonesia, where it was cooked with coconut
milk (NOT the liquid inside a coconut) and slices of fresh ginger and
a bit of palm sugar. But i have read that in some rural mountainous
regions of mainland Southeast Asia is a staple. I have found this
sold as "Forbidden Rice" in very expensive packages in supermarkets
and health food stores with amazingly outrageous stories on the
packages, which make me laugh. It is also sold for a more reasonable
cost at Southeast Asian markets, where they know better.

>Most rice in the U.S., brown and white, is long-grain rice, which is to what
>I suspect you are really objecting.  Short grain and medium grain rices seem
>to be starchier, cook better and have better flavor.

As far as i can tell, i prefer long grain rices, and secondarily
medium grain. My experiences with short grain rice is that they are
preferred for specific uses or certain cuisines, but not as my daily
rice. I used to eat rice with great frequency - when i lived in
Indonesia 2 or 3 times a day, when back in the states not daily but
several times a week - although now that i am on the A****s D**t,
rice is right out - too high a glycemic load.

>Some of the health
>food brown rices I have encountered have actually been partially hulled
>brown rice with a lot of chaff remaining.  Nutritional--maybe, but certainly
>textural and taste deficient.

This is my experience. I am content to eat other whole grains, but
brown rice, well, i've already made my opinion clear.

It seems to me, however, that "brown rice" is either being processed
differently now or else is a different variety, than back in the 60s
and 70s when i was first introduced to it. Another problem with it
back then was that it took *ages* to cook (45 minutes *minimum*,
compared to 12-15 minutes for white rice), and all too often i was
served under cooked rice when i was not cooking it myself. According
to packages i've read, current varieties of "brown rice" cook in a
much shorter period of time.

>The primary nutritional difference between white and brown rice is the
>epicarp, mesocarp, endocarp, spermoderm, germ and aeluronic layer of brown
>rice contain the B vitamins.  When those are milled away to make white rice,
>the rice loses much of its nutritional value.  If the diet consists mainly
>of white rice without something to provide supplemental B vitamins, then
>there is a possibility of beriberi.  Apparently some commercial processors
>have been adding B vitamins to the coatings in the polishing process to help
>reduce the chances of beriberi.

While i understand that brown rice is supposed to be more healthful,
having more naturally inherent vitamins, minerals, and other
nutrients, as well as more fiber, i don't like its flavor or texture.

I am content to eat milled rice - polishing is not necessary for me,
although i realize that it may be what is generally commercially
available. I avoid rice that mentions using talc on the packaging
(although i suppose it may be used but not listed).

I tend to buy Thai Jasmine rice (although i notice a degradation in
quality over the past couple decades) or South Asian basmati rice
(and these are quite variable in quality). While Master Adamantius,
whose taste buds and nose i am certain are more finely and
sensitively attuned than my own, smells no difference between his
packages of Carolina and Jasmine rice, i notice a difference and to
me they smell different when cooked. I was not prejudiced against
American rices until after i returned from Indonesia. On a few
occasions, especially when financially strapped, i purchased American
rice, thinking there couldn't be a big difference. However, upon
cooking and eating it, i found i really could taste and smell a
difference.

Anahita